Using the power of the sun, solar panels produce electricity for your home? Curious how the panels work? They generate energy through this process:
- Rays of sunlight hit the panels, which causes electrons and photons to react, making an electrical current.
- This current flows from the panels to the solar inverter. All the energy generated is converted here into energy that is usable in your home.
- From the inverter, the energy travels to your breaker box, where the energy is then circulated throughout your home.
- Energy left unused goes to your utility meter and remains available for later consumption. Depending on where you live, this unused energy can often be put toward net metering purposes, meaning it can be sent to the grid as a way to earn energy credits on your next electric bill.
Benefits Of Solar In Knoxville
There are plenty of reasons to consider solar panels for your Knoxville-area home. Beyond the potential financial benefits, there are environmental factors and the potential for a major return on your investment.
- Own Your Power — By setting your home up to be less reliant on grid power, you can protect yourself from constantly rising energy costs and ultimately own your power.
- Potentially Reduce Your Electric Bill — Since you’ll be generating your own power, solar panels can potentially save you thousands in electric bills over time.
- Qualify For Federal Tax Credit — Qualified homeowners can currently claim a federal tax credit of up to 26% for installing solar panels on their property.5
- Potentially Increase Your Property’s Value — Solar is becoming a more popular choice as people see the potential in lowering their electric bills. Studies have shown that going solar can increase your home’s value on the housing market, meaning that should you choose to sell your home, you can potentially get an increased return on your solar investment.
- Reduce Your Carbon Footprint — Solar energy is a clean alternative energy source that can easily aid in reducing your carbon footprint, letting you do your part for the planet.
What Happens To Excess Solar Energy?
It’s possible your solar panels may generate excess energy at certain times of the day. If you have more energy than you need from your solar system, there are a couple of ways it can still be useful.
Store excess energy in a backup battery.3
If your panels produce excess energy, the extra power can be stored in your Generac battery backup to be used in the event of a grid power outage or at night when your panels are not producing any electricity. In addition, the stored energy can fill the gaps when your home’s solar panels are not producing at full capacity.
Use excess energy via net metering.
Net metering is the process of sending extra energy that your solar panels produce back to the grid in exchange for credits on future electric bills. If your panels produce extra energy, you can be credited for the energy you sell back (often at a 1-to-1 ratio), meaning that you sell it back at the same price you would buy it. This is a great incentive for using solar energy, but it’s important to note that some utility companies do not offer net metering. Availability, excess credits and other requirements vary by area and utility providers.
Solar Panel Installation In Knoxville
Our local team of Knoxville-based solar panel installation experts has developed processes to make going solar simple.
- Start by filling out an online form for a free quote. One of our solar experts will reach out to you to discuss your options. We’ll evaluate your home, make sure you’re a viable candidate for solar panels and schedule a free in-home consultation.
- One of our experienced consultants will travel to and evaluate your home and electric bills to determine what size solar system would be a good fit for your needs. We’ll create a custom proposal based on your energy usage. Once you’ve signed the contract, we get started on working and preparing for installation!
- On installation day, we’ll arrive promptly at your home and begin the installation. We’ll make sure to install in a way that ensures no damage to your home or roof. This process usually takes about a day or two. We’ll carefully test the system to make sure it’s working perfectly and clean up once we’re all done.
Cost of Solar In Knoxville
Adding solar energy to your home is more affordable than ever in the Knoxville area! The overall cost of a solar system is determined by your home, energy usage and energy goals. Don’t worry, though. Our solar experts are capable of developing a customized solution for you, based on how many solar panels you need.
Solar panel costs are calculated based on dollars per watt. We determine how many panels are needed for your home based on how many watts your home typically uses. Once we’ve found that number, we can create a custom solar solution for you.
Your Knoxville Solar Panel Installation Cost Includes The Following:
This includes the solar panels, inverters, wiring, conduit, mounting racks and mounting hardware.
A Custom Solar System
Once you sign the contract, our team begins designing a system, filing the relevant permits and proceeding with the setup for your installation.
A Time And Date For Your Installation
On the day of installation, our team carefully installs and tests your system to ensure that it’s working properly, then cleans up your property as though we were never there!